Monday, December 27, 2010

The carnage is over...

We survived Christmas.  I stayed up till midnight making sure everything was done.  Thank goodness for Grandma who held off the kids till after 7am.  My poor brother and his wife, the girls started bugging at 2am!  Everyone loved their gifts.  Linnea was very impressed with all the beautiful doll clothes that Grandma and I conspired to make right  under her nose.  Ulrik couldn't get to his room fast enough to start building Hogwarts(Harry Potter) castle.  Annika crawled into my lap at 8am and said "bed"  She was asleep by 10am. 

My brother and sister and spouses and the kids all came in the afternoon.  While Annika napped I wrapped all the rest of the stuff.  We had sloppy joes, cheesecake and enjoyed some time together.  I was so tired by 8pm I could barely see straight.  I sure am glad Catie has vacation this week so I can do some catch up on sleep.  Tonight is try out Annika in Linneas room again.  I pray it works and sticks.

I made my Mom cry on Christmas morning.  Depending on when Christmas falls she is sometimes working so it was wonderful she got to share it with us.  i got her a recordable book from Hallmark(a truly wonderful store!) and had the kids read it.  It was almost the best gift of the day.  The next one came when we were all together that night.  I had been making quilt blocks with all the kids hand prints.  I told her they were for  myself, Scott and Dawn (my brother and wife), and Catie and Chris (my sister and husband).  Needless to say i needed her help in sewing them all together, she is so much faster then me!  I secretly wrapped them up, she noticed they were gone I simply told her I put them downstairs where they would be safe.  She was so grateful when she unwrapped the box.  She commented later that night that she was really glad they were for her, she thought it was such a neat gift to give everyone.  Don't know how I'll top it next year.

Linnea was concerned because I didn't get anything but a book I picked out myself for Christmas.  I explained to both her and Ulrik that when you get older Moms and Dads buy gifts for each other.  Daddy knows what I want but we didn't have the money for it right now.  She still thought i got robbed in the situation.  After a quick thought I told her the the way I felt " my greatest present will always be that I have been given the chance to be a Mom to you, your brothers, and sister.  My gift is seeing the excitement in every ones eyes when they open up their gift and it is the one thing they really wanted.  The happiness is the only gift I need." She looked at me with that preteen OMG! look and said "Mom really, that's kind of silly"  I said to her "your day will come when you realize the same thing."

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I did truly enjoy mine.  I did realize that my gift is given to m over and over everyday.  Having Zachary in heaven makes me so very thankful that I have been blessed to have 3 more children.  They may test my sanity and patience, but I would not trade a minute of everyday, moment, or OMG look for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment